Lucy Cadou Kettlewell
After studying art and acting at the Chicago Art institute and Emerson College in Boston, Lucy Cadou Kettlewell and her husband James arrived in Saratoga Springs in 1958. James Kettlewell taught art history at Skidmore while Lucy became serious about painting, finding herself inspired by the architecture around her. As urban renewal began taking down historic districts she and James became devoted to saving what was left. Lucy painted in the early morning and evening because of the warm light and beautiful shadow effects. Many remember her dressed in an arctic down suit in the winter, painting in the back of her pick-up truck. She later moved to Middle Grove living in an old school house and painted the rural landscape. The last 7 years of her life were spent in Camden, Maine. Each time she moved, her love for the place she lived became apparent in her painting. When she passed away in 2004 an unfinished painting sat on her easel. Her work is well known in the Saratoga area. The Adirondack Trust Company has a large collection of her work as well as many private collectors. She lived her life devoted to her art and the beauty she saw around her.